Thursday, March 14, 2013

What Would You Do?



I once heard this story and it often comes to my mind when I hear Tim Mcgraws song Live Like You Where Dieing

The story goes something like this. There was a fairly young couple living out there peaceful life having raised their children and found each other after several failed marriages prior. They had only been together for a few years and they where looking forward to the rest of their lives together.

Then the husband had an injury that was going to require surgery that would result in a change in their lifestyle. He had been a hard worker for many years and the thought of not being able to do the things he was used to began making him very depressed. The wife had been preparing for this and was completely aware of how hard this was going to be but she had faith that they would get through it.

The surgery day finally arrived after several months of waiting and it went well. After the doctor told her things went well she proceeded to explain that he was in very poor health and had very little time left. The doctor than began to explain that she didn't think it would be a good idea to tell him until they could get his mental state stable. She pleaded with her not to tell anyone just yet explaining that she though she needed to know but felt it would be too much for him and feared he would do something drastic and devastating. The woman had no choice but to agree for the sake of her husband.

Now when I think of this story I often think of what that woman had to do. I think of what kind of love she must have had for her husband to have to bare that kind of news on her own and pretend everything was OK. I think of her strength and how unselfish she was. I admire her for her faith in god and belief that she was doing what was best for her husband even though the pain and hurt she was feeling was so great. I don't know if many people could have done what she had too.

It often makes me wonder what would I do in that same situation and could I be that strong person when I needed to. I don't know the answer to that question and I hope I never have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment