Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hodgie

Hodgie

My whole life I always wanted to know what it would feel like to wake up on father’s day and be exited to pick up the phone and wish a man happy father’s day. Never having a father worthy of giving a card to or giving a damn about, I have never really cared about this day. For the last twenty two years I have only had my husband to wish happy father day too. Don’t get me wrong my husband is the best father figure I have ever met in my life and deserves the best wishes on this day, but today for the first time in years I woke up thinking of wishing someone else happy father’s day. Hodgie
A man who came into my life six years ago and through years of disappointing father figures I refused to give him the time of day.
Over the last couple of months this man stepped up and treated me more like a daughter than anyone has ever done before. He stood by my side when I was hurting and lectured me when I talked stupid. He didn’t take sides and treated me and my husband equally telling us both what we didn’t want to hear but encouraged us both to get our heads out of our butts. He not only treated me like a daughter but took my husband under his wing and treated him like a son.
A man with no obligations to us and with children of his own took the time to help us get things right. He opened his home and his heart when he was dealing with his own stress and never made us feel like we were imposing.
To tell you the truth I didn’t even realize it but he has been there encouraging me for years. He supported me and didn’t judge me when coming off the pills. He has been encouraging me to get well and follow my dreams with my book. He never bats an eye when we need a little financial help and he never makes us feel bad when we screw up.
He took my children under his wing and treats them more like grandchildren than their own grandparents. He tells us he loves us and you know he means it. He loves my mom and worries more about her than any man ever has. He puts her first and would do anything in the world for her.
He may not be my father but he has treated me more like a daughter than anyone ever has.

So this year my father’s day wishes go out to Hodgie . I Love you and wish you well for you have made this father’s day worth something to me. Thank you Hodgie for being there and letting me know what it feels like to want to say Happy Father Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment