Monday, February 25, 2013

In the Dog House?


In The Dog House?

 

This story always makes me smile.

Years ago my husband and I bought an old run down house, actually a condemned house. We decided to fix it up, so we move an eight foot cab over camper onto the property and began demolition. We plugged along a little at a time because we had no money. My husband continued to work and when we got paid we would buy a few two by fours or a couple of sheets of sheet rock. We worked on this project for about nine months. Not only was the house condemned but the yard was overtaken with trees garbage and brayer bushes. Needless to say we didn’t have a kitchen we cooked on a George Forman and barbeque.

Well one summer day my stepson little Danny (RIP) the girls and I decided that we wanted to go out for dinner. We knew it was payday and we devised this plan. We were going to work real hard in the yard and surprise my husband when he got home. We were brown nosing for a hamburger, pathetic huh.

Any ways we were all exited, and we got our work gloves on. I even let the kids use sharp objects to cut down the brayers. It started out good. I went to my spot and little Danny, Cindy, and Chelsea headed across the yard. I could hear them laughing and bickering but for the most part they worked hard for that hamburger.

Every once in a while they would all disappear into the camper to get something to drink. It took a long time to get that soda or juice or whatever.

Then about three hours into it I turned around and the girls where right behind me. I asked “where’s your brother?” They were like “I don’t know problem in the house.” So we went looking. There was no way we were going to do all the work and let him eat a hamburger too.

We searched the camper and the house with no sign of him. We looked around the house but no Danny. I actually started to worry. I was thinking how am I going to explain losing a kid. Then the girls were like “hey where’s the dog.” I was thinking maybe he took the dog and ran away so he wouldn’t have to work.

Nope. When we got to looking over by the doghouse we could see the dog chain going into the doghouse. We walked over and looked in. There was the dog sleeping like a baby, oh and little Danny curled up next to him snoring. We all started laughing and then beat on the sides of the dog house to scare the crap out of him. We laughed so hard when he came out. Then he said “you’re not going to tell dad that I fell asleep, are you, I want to have a hamburger too. LOL ha ha ha

I told him no but I couldn’t resist telling him later. I still smile remembering him all curled up with the dog in the middle of a hot day sleeping like a baby. I miss you Little Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment